top of page

Glen Moray

Distillery Logo

Image Credit: Glen Moray



Stephen Woodcock
*Head of Whisky Creation & Stocks

Glen Turner (La Martiniquaise)


Barrel Head


Barrel Head

head whisky maker(s)

Barrel Head


Barrel Head

Year Founded

Barrel Head


Glen Moray, originally situated outside Elgin's boundaries, had its beginnings as a brewery, utilizing the water and power from the nearby River Lossie. This proximity to the river, however, led to occasional flooding at the distillery. In 1897, Glen Moray underwent a transformation, joining the wave of new distilleries emerging during the late 19th century whisky boom. Like many others, it faced closure during the early 20th-century slump, shutting down in 1910. In 1923, it found a new owner in Macdonald & Muir, which also owned Glenmorangie.

In 1958, a large Saladin maltings system was installed, doubling the number of stills to four. The maltings operated until 1978. During its later years under Glenmorangie ownership, Glen Moray was positioned as a budget malt, often priced similarly to standard blends, which led to increased sales but limited profitability and a damaged brand image.

In 2008, the distillery was acquired by French distilling company La Martiniquaise, primarily using it for their Label Five and Glen Turner brands. Capacity was expanded by 40% through the addition of new washbacks and stills. Since La Martiniquaise took over, there has been an increase in the use of first-fill American oak casks, introducing buttery notes to the whisky. Glen Moray was among the early pioneers in finishing whisky in wine casks, including Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay, and Port. After a period of relative quiet, new releases are reemerging, and the distillery is now experimenting with peated malt production.

-Written (Mostly) by Robots-

bottom of page